Our universities are continually juggling the dual demands of upgrading ageing buildings without causing disruption to students.
While there is an inescapable need for modern and engaging learning spaces, the challenge for many university directors of estate is in how to deliver them within limited time periods.
Positive and rewarding student experiences
Not only have they positively impacted student learning, but they are also fuelling greater collaboration and enhancing the social experience of being at university too.
- Fast-tracked projects
- Challenging programmes delivered within academic holidays
- Creation of high-quality environments for staff and students
- Ongoing support for the modernisation of the university estate
- Supporting net zero ambitions of higher education sector
The three projects have enabled us to improve the sustainability of respective buildings and the biodiversity of surrounding communities. And we have also worked with each university to provide career fairs, mock interviews, and work experience opportunities for students during our time on site.
1. New theatre and recording studios for students at Arts University Bournemouth
We have completed the design and build of three studio units at Arts University Bournemouth (AUB).
Designed by our in-house team, the project has transformed existing space into modern theatre and recording studios which will positively impact students in their studies.
Works included the construction of a new mezzanine floor and fit out of new kitchen space, as well as new floors and wall finishes, acoustic curtains, new lighting rigs and furniture. New M&E was installed in all areas, improving the energy performance and efficiency of the studios.
Alongside our delivery of the project, we also made a financial donation to AUB’s sustainability programme which has supported the development of a nature garden, including two homes for hedgehogs.
Awarded via the Pagabo Refit and Refurbishment procurement framework, it is the second project we’ve completed on behalf of AUB following the refurbishment of the university’s Innovation Suite.
Key project outcomes:
- New facilities for students of specialist art courses
- Ongoing involvement in AUB programme to improve the use of existing space
- Financial support for a nature garden as part of AUB’s sustainability programme
2. Upgrade at University of Cambridge energy lab
We were appointed to refurbish the existing combustion test laboratory area within Hopkinson’s Energy Lab at the University of Cambridge.
The project involved demolition works and the construction of new walls and mezzanine floors, and thermal upgrades to the existing roof.
We also delivered an M&E refurbishment and made alterations to suit the reconfigured layout and service proposed laboratory equipment, including new ducting and a flue to the roof.
The refurbishment will provide the university with first class materials production and aerosols instrumentation laboratory facilities.
Key project outcomes:
- Newly refurbished space in existing building
- Creation of specialist laboratory space
- Enabled ongoing use of building while works were carried out
3. Students and support staff benefit from refurbishment at University of Greenwich
The refurbishment of the Dome and Aragon buildings has delivered new and improved spaces for students and staff at the University of Greenwich.
We have refreshed the students’ union within the Dome building through decoration of the soffit and wall finishes, as well as a full lighting upgrade.
At the Aragon building, existing space has been refurbished into modern new offices for student support staff, with a new entrance, floors, ceilings, internal walls, and finishes. We also completed a full removal and upgrade to existing electrical and data systems with new mechanical ventilation and new accessible WCs.
The new environment will positively contribute to the staff and student university experience, by providing modern spaces to work, study, collaborate and socialise.
Key project outcomes:
- Modern students’ union area
- Work delivered without disruption to teaching or student living spaces
- Additional support for students through provision of career workshops
To find out more about our work within the education sector, click here.